Friday, December 4, 2009

York Theatre Murals, Montreal

The York Theatre in Montreal was built in 1938 to designs by architect Perry, Luke and Little. The interior decoration was planned by Emmanuel Briffa who commissioned Kenneth Hensley Holmden to paint eight Art Deco style murals for the theatre.

I don't have any pictures of the theatre because having been badly damaged by fire in 1989 it was subequently purchased by Concordia University and demolished to make way for a new university building on the corner of Guy St and Rue Ste-Catherine.

Thanks to MaZe Canada and colros you can see what it looked like via their flickr sites.

Of the eight murals, three were salvaged by the University who have restored them and placed them in their building that replaced the old York Theatre.

York Theatre Mural, Montreal

York Theatre Mural, Montreal

York Theatre Mural, Montreal

4 comments:

  1. Your photos come from all over the world. I am wondering if you have taken them yourself or do you collect them from other sources. You have a great collection of art deco. As you know Tulsa is a treasure house of art deco buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I have taken almost 100% of the photos on my blog. I have used one or two archive photos but otherwise they are all mine. There is a World congress on Art Deco held somewhere in the world every two years and I been able to get to quite a few so that is where my photos come from. Tulsa hosted the Congress in 2001 and it was great to get there and be shown around a lot of the great deco sites.
    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this building when I used to live in Montreal. I remember it boarded up for ages. So sad it couldn't be saved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes ... I've only seen pictures of it.

    ReplyDelete