Sunday, January 17, 2010

South Melbourne Police Station & Court House

South Melbourne Police Station I reckon there isn't that much Spanish Mission style Art Deco architecture Melbourne. Mostly I see it in houses but the South Melbourne Police and Court Complex is a very rare public buildings in that style. They are acknowledged as such by Heritage Victoria.

The buildings were designed by the Public Works Department architect E Evan Smith and built in 1928.

South Melbourne Court House

South Melbourne Court House

2 comments:

  1. I really like these pictures of the South Melbourne court house and police station. I think I have always been a bit distracted by the imposing presence of the South Melbourne Town Hall that I have not paid sufficient attention to the interesting detail of these two buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Understandable Janet. The Town Hall takes pride of place and dominates Emerald Hill. It does tend to take attention away from the other heritage buildings in the precinct.

    A contact in Puerto Rico saw the pictures and expressed great surprise that there were these types of 'Spanish' style buildings in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete