Sunday, March 20, 2011

Citro Motors, Collingwood

Citro Motors, Collingwood

I can't tell you how many times I have been to this workshop at 17 Smith St, Collingwood to have something or other fixed on my old 1976 Citroën Pallas. I don't have that car anymore but I still have a Citroën, albeit a newer model, a C4.

Naturally while I was out walking last weekend I looked across the road at Citro Motors and was taken aback by how good it looked when you aren't driving a crippled car up the driveway. The beautiful blue sky and glorious morning sun helped too.

Clearly the building was built in 1924 and certainly couldn't be described as high Art Deco but it does have some simple charm about it.

I like the simple windows. Those set back into the facade on the upper storey but, also, the one with the diagonal cross above the front door.

It is interesting to note that the only decoration is the two rondels, one either side of the year.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, it's a gorgeous building with a simple unadored Deco style I think is perfect for a Citroen mechanics as automoblies in the mid 20's were becoming simpler in design. Luckily as we're got a C4 & a XM & had a Xsara never had your problem with a crippled car I've always taken a moment to appreciate the building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pallas was a great car it was just too long between when it was built and when I owned it.

      Delete